top of page
change your name.jpeg

Changing Your Name

Now that you are married, one (or both of you) may wish to change your surname.

I have created a clear 3 - step process to change your name for couples married in  Australia. If you were married overseas there is a different process to follow. 

There are many resources available online to help, including some name - changing kits you can purchase; however you are not obliged to use one of these agencies. 

Please note you do not have to formally change your name.

Many newly married couples use their married name in social circles but keep their birth name on official  documentation or for professional purposes. 

The Australian Passport Office has detailed information on name changing. 


You do, of course, you have many options. You could:

Retain your existing family name

Adopt your spouse’s family name

Adopt a combination of your family name and your spouse’s family name with or  without hyphens

Step 1

If you were married in Victoria, the first step is to obtain for a  ‘government-issued’ marriage certificate from ‘Births, Deaths & Marriages.’ Order the certificate online here, or visit them at 595 Collins Street, Melbourne. 


(Alternatively, if you ordered this me it will arrive via registered post.) 

It can take approximately 2-4 weeks for your marriage to be registered after the  ceremony, however between November & March it can take longer. 

Please note the decorative certificate you received on your wedding day is NOT sufficient evidence for most organisations to change your name, although you can certainly go ahead and change it on social platforms or in other non-legal environments. 

Step 2

Once you receive your ‘government-issued’ marriage certificate you will then  be able to change your name on your Driver’s Licence and Passport.  

The requirements to change these documents are as follows: Driver’s Licence 

You must visit a VicRoads office and show them: 

• Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages

• Your Driver’s License (current or expired less than two years ago) 


You will need to complete a Passport Renewal Application Form and submit it at  your nearest Passport Office, usually a local Post Office. 

You will also need to show them: 

• Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages 

• Your current passport 

NOTE: You can still travel on a valid passport in your previous name. In this  case, it is recommended that you also obtain your tickets in your previous  name – Ensure you buy your honeymoon flights in the same name as what is indicated on your passport!

Step 3

Now that you have your ‘government-issued Marriage Certificate’ from BDM,  and you have changed your Driver’s Licence and/or Passport, you should be  able to change your name with all other organisations. 

The main places you will need to consider are listed below, however this list is not  exhaustive and there may be other organisations you need to notify. 

I have created this downloadable PDF in case you want to print it off and cross off each place as you go!

Alumni – university, high school 

Ambulance membership 

Australian Business Register if you’re Director   

of a company 

Australian Electoral Commission 

Australian Organ Donor Register 

Australian Tax Office 

Bank/s – accounts, credit cards, ATM cards,  Loans, cheque books, term deposit accounts


CityLink account 

Council – rates and animal registration 

Driver’s license & car registration 

Frequent Flyer and other loyalty clubs 

Insurance – car, house, contents, health, life,  

Insurance protection 

Internet account 

Investments and shares 


Memberships – DVD library, book library, sports  Clubs, gyms etc. 

Online – Facebook, Ebay, LinkedIn, Instagram, apps, gaming, AirBnb, Email accounts etc.


Pay TV account 

Phone – mobile & home accounts 

RACV breakdown cover 

Real estate agency if you’re renting 

Regular service providers – hairdresser,  Mechanic, vet, accountant, lawyer, doctor,  Dentist, hospital, counselor etc. 



Social Media Platforms, Apple ID, apps etc.

Subscriptions – magazines etc. 


Utilities – electricity, water, gas 


White Pages listing 

Your employer or employees 

Your will 


bottom of page